Video games have a unique power to connect with audiences through both personal and shared experiences. Constant technological advancements in the industry, not to mention a need for rich storytelling and extensive world-building, means it can take years for a game to be developed and brought to market.
Beyond the games themselves, there is constant progress and technological development of gaming devices, allowing for gameplay on an increasing variety of platforms and even personal devices. More platforms mean more accessibility, which leads to more players, and much bigger fandoms.
By using influencer marketing and social media to grow brand awareness and reach, developers have had a major hand in increasing the popularity and growth of their games over the past year. Using the Tagger platform's Affinity and Mentions tools, we found these 12 gaming developers who are both creating phenomenal games and spreading buzz about them.
- Infinity Ward (@infinityward) - With nearly 7k mentions on their Instagram platform alone, Infinity Ward- the original creators of Call of Duty- interact with the gamer community and influencers regularly. This activity has contributed to most of their growth of over 100k followers since March 2020.
- Bethesda Softworks (@bethesda) - Game publisher Bethesda Softworks- featuring games like DOOM, Elder Scrolls, and Fallout- has experienced positive growth and engagement over the past few months. Nearly 20k mentions in those short months showcase the reach of their constant interaction with the gaming community.
- Rockstar Games (@rockstargames) - Boasting over 50,000 mentions in the last year, Rockstar Games has a large fanbase which they’ve been able to grow by over 3 million. With game franchises Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption in their oeuvre, the gaming company’s growth shows no signs of slowing.
- Supercell (@supercell) - Responsible for popular games Clash of Clans, Clash Royale, and Boom Beach, Supercell has grown by over 500k in 2020. With engagement rates over double the Tagger benchmark, the company has highly engaged and active gamers as part of their fanbase.
- Ubisoft (@ubisoft) - Since the announcement of their UPlay+ subscription service in September 2019, Ubisoft has experienced growth on all platforms. Other factors contributing to their 1M+ growth is their utilization of influencer marketing, with the help of creators including actor Finn Wolfhard and rapper Lil Yachty promoting their games.
- Naughty Dog (@naughty_dog_inc) - Though their growth was at a steady incline before the recent release of The Last of Us Part 2, the game’s debut on June 19 caused a 12% growth on the game developer's Instagram platform. Naughty Dog is also responsible for games Unbroken, Crash Bandicoot, and Jak and Daxter.
- Treyarch (@treyarch) - Developer behind the Black Ops series of games, Treyarch also developed the Call of Duties Zombies game. Following the late August announcement of their newest game Black Ops Cold War, the company's growth rate spiked and looks to be steadily increasing.
- Nintendo (@nintendo) - A company consistently shaking up the gaming industry, Nintendo has most recently celebrated its 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. With over 100k mentions it’s no wonder Nintendo has seen substantial positive growth over the past year.
- Bioware (@biowarebase) - With credits including the Mass Effect series, Dragon Age series, and Star Wars: The Old Republic, Bioware creates video games featuring rich stories and world-building. The company has had a positive turn in growth rates, also featuring a reach on some posts of over 1 million engagements.
- Gameloft (@gameloft) - Specializing in mobile game development and publishing, Gameloft is responsible for the mobile versions of the Assassin’s Creed, Asphalt, and Disney Magic Kingdoms. With their growth rate spiking since March 2020, the company has experienced steady growth on Instagram over the past three months.
- Bungie (@bungie) - Developer behind Halo and Destiny, Bungie has 16.8k mentions online and has already collaborated with multiple online creators. The company’s high growth and engagement rate are indicative of these collaborations, with an engagement rate consistently staying at 6%.
- Electronic Arts (@ea) - One of the most popular video game developers internationally, EA is responsible for FIFA, Apex Legends, The Sims, and Madden NFL. Since June EA has experienced an explosion of growth on their platforms, featuring almost 10k mentions since June 1st.
If you'd like to know more about how Tagger can help you use influencer marketing strategies to increase ROI and generate growth, click here to set up a free demo.